Bridges between Fields

I am calling my attempt at a biographical draft of José Vicente Barbosa du Bocage (1823-1907) a biographical 'exercise'. That is exactly how I view writing even a modest and small text like mine. It is an exercise because it can 'only' be an exercise and nothing absolute or definitive.
During my 'exercises' looking at Bocage's life I tend to do a lot of schematics such as this one:
and I realized reading Bourdieu (again) that I may use the notion of Field in order to better understand the ways in which - this is my main hypothesis - scientific power intertwines with political power.
So far, the Geographical Society [Sociedade de Geografia de Lisboa - SGL] is my most useful Bridge between Fields.
In drawing this and many other graphical representations of Bocage's involvements I realized, for example, that the transfer of the natural history collections between the ACL [Academy of Sciences, Lisboa] and the EP [Polytechnic School, Lisboa] only happened after Barbosa du Bocage was made Fellow. For decades this transfer was negotiated to and fro [the ACL wasn't handling the finantial burden and the EP needed demonstration collections for study and education purposes] the real process of transference was only made official through a decree in 1858, right after Bocage's paper on Portuguese Fauna and the Portuguese Ibex he observed from the collections that existed in Lisboa and Coimbra -- asserting himself as a researcher on the matter, granted the honnour of being part of the scientific sphere.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário